Is a Transferable Vehicle Registration Really Transferable to a Title?

“The guy I purchased the vehicle from had a registration because his state doesn’t title vehicles of that age.” I hear that all the time. So what so you do? You get a registration in the sellers name signed over to you. But your state wants a title for a title. Not a registration for a title.

This happens all the time. So make sure that along with the registration, you also get a bill of sale showing that you purchased the vehicle for “X” amount of money, on “X” date. Also make sure both you and the seller sign the bill of sale, and the vehicle VIN number is on there as well.

In many cases, the DMV still won’t title the vehicle in your name with the bill of sale. They will make you complete a Vehicle Request Form. They want to know the past title holder. The information that you request will take a few weeks to come in.

But the frustrations have only just begun. The DMV will now want you to send certified letters to the past title holder, (if the request was successful).

There is a silver lining in all this red tape. If you have a bill of sale and VIN then a title specialist at will take care of all the busy, frustrating paperwork that is required and your only responsibility is to sign the prepared documents and mail them back to us.

Not red tape. Just a new title.